- 1 Where is Honnemaradu located?
- 2 What activities you can do in Honnemaradu ?
- 3 How to reach Honnemaradu ?
- 4 So what are the top sightseeing places in Honnemaradu?
- 5 Commute Within Honnemaradu
- 6 Honnemaradu nearby destinations
Looking for a vacation which is both relaxing and adventurous ? Looking for a vacation in the lap of nature ? Do you know about Honnemaradu ?
If not you may be interested in knowing about this place. It is the answer if you are looking for a relaxing and adventurous vacation.
Honnemaradu literally means ‘golden lake‘ and is spread out in the River Sharavathi .
Honnemardu derived its name from the Honne tree. However, as I mentioned before the literal meaning of Honnemardu is Golden Lake. These islands are perfect for camping.
In And Around Honnemardu there are many tourist attractions. One of Honnemardus main attractions is the island in the middle of the reservoir.
Overnight camping facilities can be found here. The swimming pool with fresh water and the enormous forest area allow campers to indulge in rafting, swimming and trekking.
Where is Honnemaradu located?
Honnemaradu is located in Sagara taluk in Shivamogga district of Karnataka. It is about
- 35 km from Sagara on the way to Jog Falls,
- 12 km from Talaguppa and
- 392 km from Bangalore.
What activities you can do in Honnemaradu ?
Situated in the backwaters of River Sharavathi this place overlooks the Linganamakki Dam. A nice place in the lap of nature and offers activities like
Top things to do
- canoeing ,
Honnemaradu is also a paradise for bird watchers. You can literally spend hours watching and identifying the birds and butterflies here. You will love and appreciate the natural beauty of this place.
Swimming in Honnemaradu
Swimming is one the best things you can do here.
Even those who don’t know about swimming can swim with life jackets.
You should also try boating and kayaking.
Camping and a bonfire end the day is the ultimate end to the beautiful day here.
Boating at Honnemaradu
Water sports here includes boating and kayaking, but is only permitted with a guide.
So for those who enjoy a taste of adventure and like water sports, Honnemardu is a wonderful getaway.
This little village lies on the slopes of a hill near the Honnemardu reservoir.
The, nature walks through the forests give some glimpses of several bird varieties. You can also go to Jog falls from here.
The 289-feet waterfall in the Sharavathi River is just amazing.
Also a must-see is the Dabbe Falls which is about 30 kilometers from Jog falls.
How to reach Honnemaradu ?
- By Road
- By Train
- Nearby Railway station : Shimoga – Talaguppa – Sagar
- Train Route: Mysore – Bangalore – Shimoga – Sagar – Talaguppa
Bangalore to Honnemaradu Distance
Around 390 Kms from Bangalore
So what are the top sightseeing places in Honnemaradu?
The top sightseeing places are
- Honnemardu Reservoir,
- Dabbe Falls,
- Gademane Village
- Sagar town
- Jog Falls
- Singadooru Chamundeshwari Temple
Commute Within Honnemaradu
It is a small village and hence travelling options are limited. If you are going to stay at a guest house or adventure camp, you will get a vehicle arranged through them.
Else there are some auto and taxis available and from various part of state there are buses available.
Honnemaradu nearby destinations
- Udupi / Mangalore
- Gokarna / Murudeshwar
You may also like – A 4 day trip towards west coast
- Gaya of South – Avani temple, Kolar – One day trip from Bangalore
- Hognekkal Falls – As wonderful as it can be during rainy season
- Best places to visit in mexico in february
- Bull Temple Bangalore – One of the most famous nandi temple in the world
- Thottikallu Falls near Bangalore – A nice one day trip with family and friends