It was worth a drive! A long drive in-fact from Bangalore to Hognekkal Falls in Tamil Nadu. Quick facts first!
Hognekkal Falls Quick Facts
Distance from Bangalore : approx 180 Kms
Time taken: 3 hrs approx one way
Route: Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishangiri -> Dharampuri -> Hogenakkal
Food options : Many on the way till Dharampur. Few after that.
What to see: Water falls
Drive to Hognekkal Falls
Ok, so hogenakkal falls drive took us almost 3 hrs to reach and it falls at a distance of almost 180kms. Overall, the drive and place was amazing.
If you have not bought food then you can stop at Sarvana Bhavana or A2B on the way.
I suggest you eat before Krishangiri. After that resturants are less and then as soon as you turn on Dharampuri – Hogenakkal road, options become very limited.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, at Dharampuri you need to take a detour towards Hogenakkal. So don’t miss that!
Hognekkal Falls Parking
The falls are located on a hill so the ride upward and downwards is pretty fun as the roads are curvy and it’s fun zooming through them.
As you enter the parking lot you will have to collect 2 tickets (they collected 2 for us but it may change…) 1 is for parking and 1 is the entry.
After parking walk almost half-a-kilometer to reach the falls. Also watch out for the monkeys which just snatch food stuff out of your hands.
Few things that we noticed there which needs improvement
- Too many plastic items such as wrappers and bottles. Though it’s written not to use plastic. This should be avoided
- There is a smell of oil every where due to the massage center located right in the open. May be these can be moved a bit away from falls
- Humidity is very high in that area.. and the smell of the oil makes the environment a bit more worse
- Another bad thing that I noticed was that a family was having their food and were dumping things right into the water. Due to the direction of the flow it came right towards the free sitting place. Poeple should not do that
- People sell soap, shampoos and oil bottles but there. People use it and throw wrappers around. There should be very strict fine for this.
To observe the falls properly and to get good pics you should go over to the bridge.
You can also visit the “Bathing Point” where you stand (or sit under the falling water).
However they won’t allow you to enter the “Bathing Point” after 5 p.m.
There is also a boating area……the government price is around Rs50. per head
I am really adventurous and I wanted to go for the boat ride but (I think) due to fast water flow and high water level they didn’t allow me :’-(
As you are returning make sure that you are not too late..if it gets too dark it will be hard to go downhill again…
As we were returning it had rained and we enjoyed it pretty much. Again you can stop at Sarvana Bhavana and have your dinner.
How to reach Hognekkal Falls
You may also like – places around Bangalore which kids will love